Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Not so simple RSS

I found playing around with RSS took a lot of time - I got lost in cyberspace for hours searching for websites worth subscribing to. I guess this would be useful if I already had favourite sites, but to be honest I'd rather read a book than surf the web (how boring!) So I persevered and found some interesting sites - a bit of news, library stuff, science breakthroughs, quotes of the day and of course, the powerhouse museum photo of the day. I tried to keep the feeds varied. At first, when I tried to set up the feeds I couldn't find many of the icons indicated in the introductory video, so I copied and pasted the url. Then I discovered I could set up the 'sub with bloglines' button on my bookmark toolbar and hey presto! it was so much easier. I was also a bit confused as to which email and password I had to type in. I'm beginning to get a collection of different accounts and passwords and it's getting a bit messy.
As far as usefulness goes, RSS is great for keeping up to date with your favourite sites and would be good for librarians to keep abreast of current trends, literature, new technology, educational changes etc... For myself, I'm ready to move on.

1 comment:

  1. RSS can be involved, as you have found, but it sounds like you enjoyed the hunt.

    Ellen (PLS)

    ReplyDelete